Buckets - Changing buckets & attachments
This is a simple, step-by-step method of connecting any dipper end attachment:
- Try to ensure bucket is on level ground, or at very least is level with your excavator, at mid reach, so the dipper is in a vertical position.
- Align the dipper above the bucket pivots and extend the bucket ram out (i.e. curl-in, pulling right control lever to the left) so that the bucket link end is lower than the dipper end.
- Drop the bucket link into the rear pivot location of the bucket.
- Align the bucket link pinhole with the rear bucket pivot pinholes.
- Insert the rear bucket pin.
- Lift the dipper until bucket is clear of ground.
- Retract the bucket ram, and angle the dipper, in order to align the dipper end pinhole with the front bucket pivot pinholes.
- Insert front bucket pin.
- Check bucket/attachment pins are properly secured with the correct retaining clips or bolts. Unsecured pins can easily come adrift causing damage to the bucket/attachment and the excavator, as well as posing a safety issue.
- Ensure pins are greased.
- Carefully rotate bucket through full range of boom, dipper and bucket ram movements tacking care to check for any potential collision (especially near the dipper and link ends where the leverage is highest) in order to ensure the bucket/attachment you have fitted is compatible with your machine and is not faulty.