Maintenance & Servicing
For full requirements, please check the manufacturers Operators Manual, specific to your excavator. As a rough guide, the following daily checks should be made:
- Check engine oil level and top up if necessary.
- Check radiator coolant level and top up if necessary.
- Check hydraulic oil level and top up if necessary.
- Check fuel level and top up if necessary.
- Check battery(s) electrolyte level and top up if necessary.
- Check fan & alternator drive belt tension and adjust if necessary.
- Check tracks are not clogged with dried or frozen mud and debris.
- Check track adjustment tension if necessary.
- Grease all points on the excavator arm, and attachment (and also on the slew ring assembly approximately every 50 hours), bearing in mind:
- Use correct grease. If you have a very high temperature or high impact job, you will need a better grade of grease. Work in very wet weather or partial submersion of water may cause wash out of standard grease – use high washout resistant grease.
- The dipper end and attachment may need to be greased more regularly than one a day under conditions were they are exposed to water, sand, salt or fine dust.
- In hot and dusty conditions, check the air filter element(s) and clean if necessary.
- Check bucket/attachment pins are properly secured with the correct retaining clips or bolts. Unsecured pins can easily come adrift causing damage to the bucket/attachment and the excavator, as well as posing a safety issue.